Welcome to BikeRackforSUV.org, the only place where you’ll find the best bike rack for SUV based on your needs, specs, brand or price. You’ll get Top picks and best bike carriers in 2016 according to editorial and user reviews.
This guide is intended to simplify matters for you rather than make them more complicated, so let’s take a look at the top bike carriers from each category. Just scroll to the right type of SUV bike rack:
HITCH Bike Racks
The hitch-mounted bike rack for SUV is the most versatile, has a variety of styles and can carry up to 5 bikes. It is required a trailer hitch though. It is the easiest way to carry multiple bikes on your vehicle and it will not damage the car paint. You have two main types to choose from: hanging and platform. You can explore hitch bike racks from brands like Kuat, Allen Sports, Yakima, or Thule.
- Can hold up to five bikes
- Easiest way to carry multiple bikes
- No damage to vehicle body or paint job
- Easy to load and can support bikes of any weight in a tray and secure by clamping front wheels
- Easy to lift and secure the bikes into position
- Great for heavier bikes due to the low loading height
- Come in different sizes and shapes
- Largest variety of styles
TRUNK Bike Racks
Trunk mount bike rack for SUV is the most cost effective way to carry bikes on most vehicles. This rack works by clamping to your vehicle with 4-6 rubber-dipped metal hooks, and rubber pads that are secured to your bumper, trunk or rear window for support. You can explore trunk bike racks from brands like Allen Sports, Saris, Yakima or Thule.
- Can hold up to 4 bikes
- Most cost efficient
- Requires the least amount of installation and storage
- Can keep front wheels intact
- Has padded or indented cradles to hold the frame
- No overhead lifting required
- Can easily use on another vehicle without hassle
- Great option for rental cars
ROOF Bike Racks
The Roof bicycle racks for SUV will give you a variety of mounting options for your bike. That includes the frame mount, fork mount and wheel mount. It has also the ability of carrying more bikes as compared with many trunk or hitch mounted carriers. More so, convenience is also a benefit of using this. The rack will remain mounted even if it is not in use. However, it will require to have a base roof rack installed. You can explore roof bike racks from brands like Thule or Yakima.
- Most versatile
- Great option for SUV’s lower to ground
- Locking forks into rack is most stable and secure
- Won’t damage paint job or body
- Can be adapted in order to how many bikes are desired
- Easy to install if your vehicle has crossbars
- Multi-purpose uses for other equipment (skis, surfboards, snowboards, cargo boxes etc.)
- Can support odd framed bikes
- Usually comes equipped with a security strap to lock up bikes
SPARE TIRE Bike Racks
Spare tire bicycle racks are compact and easy to install. It comes in 2-bike versions since the weight is transmitted to the spare tire bracket. It can feature locking systems which secure your bikes to the rack, and also lock the rack to your tire.
- Can transport up to 2 bikes
- No overhead lifting required
- Integrated locking cable
- Patented tie-down system
- Doesn’t touch the bodywork
- Fits both oversized and regular tires
- Won’t restrict access into cargo area of your vehicle. It willswing with the access door
- Solid when attached properly
What to Look for When Buying a Bike Rack?
It should be kept as simple as possible when developing criteria to narrow down what you are looking for in a SUV Bike Rack. It’s very important to know what kind of rack will fit your particular model of SUV. So knowing your vehicle will be paramount in making your final purchasing decision. Below you will find what to include in your criteria to find the best Bike Rack for your SUVs that fits your needs:
- How many bikes do you plan to transport?
- Do you also have kid’s bicycles?
- What type of bike do you have?
- Does your vehicle have a 1.25″ or 2″ receiver hitch installed? If yes, click here.
- Does it have a spare tire? If yes, click here.
- Does your vehicle come equipped with crossbars on the roof? If yes, click here.
- How much are you willing to spend?
- Which are the best Brands?
After you have taken this into consideration you should then look at how easy the bike rack is to use on a daily basis, how safe it will be to transport for your bikes and fellow motorists, the durability of the rack and how well the materials are. Everything before mentioned should be included in your criteria when closing in on your purchasing decision.
When You Will Know That it’s the Perfect Bike Carrier?
Finally after taking close consideration to all the info that has been presented, you should be armed well enough to go out and find the bike rack that is perfect for you. Ask yourself these questions and you will know for sure:
- Will it work on my model of vehicle?
- Is it durable enough?
- Will it be easy to load and unload?
- Can it transport the number of bikes I need?
- How much room will it take up when I go to store it?
- Will it damage my vehicle’s body or chip the paint?
- Does it meet my safety requirements?
- Does it have a warranty?
- Does it allow me to secure my bikes thoroughly?
- Can I easily access my cargo area when necessary?
If you can feel comfortable about answering YES to all the questions above then you will know that you have found the perfect rack for you and can confidently purchase without the nagging regret of buyers remorse that plague so many who lack research in their shopping habits and compulsively buy. Use this guide to stay out of that category and enjoy your new Bike Rack for SUV for a very long time!