Top Bike Racks for Fat Bikes
You will discover:
- 2 best carriers to accommodate fat tire electric bikes
- 8 top-rated carriers for fat bikes with up to 5″ wide tires
- 2 extra racks as a bonus
Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these. Learn more.
If you are looking for the best fat tire bike racks in 2020 we might have some great options for you. We did a research and found eight top fat bike racks along with two fat bike carriers for electric bikes. Luckily, fat bikes have become so popular nowadays and many manufacturers sell spare or adapter parts to accommodate fat bike tires.
According to Wikipedia, a fat bike (also called fat-tire bike) is an off-road bicycle with oversized tires, typically 3.8″ or larger and rims 2.16″ or wider, designed for low ground pressure to allow riding on unstable terrain, like sand, snow, bogs, mud, and traditional mountain biking trails.
If you are looking after some good options to transport your fat bike or electric fat bike, we prepared a list of 10 best-rated fat tire bike racks in the market.
Outstanding Fat Tire Bike Carriers (in 2020)
If you own a regular or electric fat bike and you want to keep it safe from any damage while transporting, we have few great options for you. All of them are considered the best bike carriers for fat bicycles this year.
- Hollywood Racks Sport Rider (for fat-tire electric bikes)
- KAC Overdrive Sport 2-bike for electric and fat bikes (best-seller)
- Thule T2 Pro XT + Fat Tire Kit (best-rated)
- RockyMounts Backstage Swing-Away for Fat Bikes
- Thule EasyFold XT 2 Hitch Rack for Fat-Tire Bikes
- RockyMounts Monorail for Fat-Tire Bicycles
- RockyMounts Tomahawk Fat-Tire Roof Bike Carrier
- Swagman CURRENT
- Kuat Transfer for Fat Bikes
- Swagman Chinook Carrier for Fat Bicycles
- BUZZ Rack Fat Tire Hitch Rack (e-Bike compatible)
- Yakima TwoTimer Hitch Fat-Tire Bike Carrier
1. Hollywood Racks Sport Rider for Electric Bikes
2. KAC Overdrive Sport 2-Bike Hitch Mounted Rack for Electric and Fat-Tire Bikes
3. Thule T2 Pro XT + Fat Tire Kit
A ratcheting arm clamps the front wheel and tire, eliminating contact with the bike frame. The rack can carry any type of bike regardless of the wheel size or frame design.
4. RockyMounts Backstage Platform Hitch Rack for Fat Bikes
5. Thule EasyFold XT 2 Hitch Rack for Fat-Tire Bikes
6. RockyMounts Monorail for Fat-Tire Bicycles
7. RockyMounts Tomahawk Fat-Tire Roof Bike Carrier
8. Swagman CURRENT for Fat Bikes
9. Kuat Transfer for Fat Bikes
10. Swagman Chinook Hitch Bike Carrier for Fat Bikes
11. BUZZ RACK Approach Fat Tire Rack
12. Yakima TwoTimer Fat Tire Hitch Bike Rack
Why do We Recommend Hitch Racks for Fat Bikes?
As many bike enthusiasts will attest, hitch racks are among the best carriers for any bike, fat tires or otherwise. Why is this? To start with, hitch racks are easy to install and offer faster offloading of your bike compared to other racks. They are also stable and most of them can be adjusted to fit different hitch sizes; meaning you won’t be limited on which vehicle to use. Lastly, hitch racks are quite sturdy and durable.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Fat Bike Rack
Platform racks – Platform racks are compatible with a wide variety of different bike styles. They are stable and sit lower to the ground for easy loading and unloading. They strap the front and rear tires or frames to prevent wobbling while driving and don’t come into contact with the painted frame. They are however bulky and more expensive. Why choosing a hitch rack for your fat bike – check this post.
Hanging racks – They are cheaper compared to the platform racks but are also quite firm and compact. The downside, however, is the fact that they strap the bike around the frame which can lead to scrapping. The bikes are also held very close to one another which can lead to swaying while driving or the bikes rubbing against one another.
Load Capacity – Generally, platform racks carry from 1-4 fat bikes whereas hanging racks hold from 2-5 bikes. Load capacity should depend on the number of bikes you are likely to carry.
Add-ons can be used to increase load capacity. Some bike racks (Recon Racks Gen2 R6) can carry up to six bikes. The quality of materials used to make the rack is also important; some racks are stronger than others.
Add-ons/Accessories – Add-ons also called extensions are a way to increase the load capacity of bike racks to be able to carry more bikes. These add-ons or accessories are easy to attach and remove. Some add-Ons may cost as much as the racks themselves.
With the above information, landing on a fat bike rack that suits your needs shouldn’t be a problem. Now you can take your fat bike along for your trips without worrying about its security or damage while on transit. Whether you want to haul one or more bikes, there’s always an option that works for you and your bicycle. If you want to look at more options we put in place the ultimate guide of SUV bike carriers for your consideration.